RICHMOND, VIRG. (Oct. 30, 2012) -- Hurricane Sandy is battering the East Coast from North Carolina to Maine and as far inland as West Virginia. Virginia sits directly in the path of this “super storm,” which is why Mercury Insurance has mobilized its Emergency Claims Team throughout the state. The team will deploy into the field, as soon as authorities allow, to begin helping policyholders who may have been forced to evacuate their homes, or whose property may suffer damage from wind and rain caused by Sandy. Customers are encouraged to begin reporting claims as soon as possible.
“Millions of people may be affected and billions of dollars of damage may be inflicted, so we want to assure all of our policyholders throughout Virginia that we are ready to help,” says Joanna Moore, Mercury’s chief claims officer. “We know events such as Sandy can be devastating and we will do everything we can to help our policyholders get back to normal as quickly as possible.”
Moore says policyholders can report damages 24 hours a day, seven days a week to The Mercury Claims Hotline at (800) 503-3724. She also advises policyholders follow a few simple procedures to help the claims process run quickly and smoothly.
When filing a claim
· Contact Mercury immediately to report your loss.
· Do not remove debris or damaged property that may be related to your claim.
Steps after filing a claim
· Prepare a detailed inventory of destroyed or damaged property.
· Offer photos or video tapes of your home and possessions to your adjuster, if these are available.
· Keep copies of communications between you and your adjuster.
· Keep records and receipts for additional living expenses that were incurred if you were forced to leave you home, and provide copies to your adjuster.
ABOUT MERCURY INSURANCE (www.mercuryinsurance.com)
Mercury Insurance (MCY) is a multiple-line insurance organization predominantly offering personal automobile and homeowners insurance through a network of independent agents in Florida, Georgia, California, New Jersey, Arizona, New York, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia and Pennsylvania. Since 1962, Mercury has specialized in offering quality insurance at affordable prices – core values that distinguish Mercury in the marketplace.