LATHAM, N.Y., Aug. 26, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- While Hurricane Irene is carving her destructive path along the East Coast, the Emergency Claims Team from Mercury Insurance has been mobilized in New York and is ready to assist policy holders who suffer property damage, according to Joanna Moore, Mercury's chief claims officer. Moore says claims can be reported round-the-clock to the Mercury Claims Hotline at (800) 503-3724.
"The first step for Mercury customers is to call our hotline ASAP to get assistance, report losses and begin putting their lives back together," says Moore. "Our Emergency Claims Team has been activated, and as soon as local authorities allow, we'll move into the field. Our goal is to help our policyholders as quickly and efficiently as possible."
To accelerate the claims process, Mercury suggests claimants consider the following tips:
When filing a claim
- Contact Mercury immediately to report your loss.
- Do not remove debris or damaged property that may be related to your claim.
Steps after filing a claim
- Prepare a detailed inventory of destroyed or damaged property.
- Offer photos or video tapes of your home and possessions to your adjuster, if these are available.
- Keep copies of communications between you and your adjuster.
- Keep records and receipts for additional living expenses that were incurred if you were forced to leave your home, and provide copies to your adjuster.
"The Mercury claims team is here for our customers in the event they need to make a claim during this difficult time," says Moore. "Events such as Hurricane Irene can be devastating, so we urge all of our customers who suffered losses to call our claims hotline once Irene has passed."
Policyholders can follow Mercury and get up-to-date Irene information on Twitter @MercuryIns or on the company's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/mercuryinsurance.
ABOUT MERCURY INSURANCE (www.mercuryinsurance.com)
Mercury Insurance (MCY) is a multiple-line insurance organization predominantly offering personal automobile and homeowners insurance through a network of independent agents in New York, New Jersey, Texas, California, Florida, Oklahoma, Arizona, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, Virginia and Pennsylvania. Since 1962, Mercury has specialized in offering quality insurance at affordable prices – core values that distinguish Mercury in the marketplace.
SOURCE Mercury Insurance