Youngest NASCAR Driver Ever Teams With Mercury Insurance To Promote Don't Text & Drive Pledge
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (Sept. 19, 2011) – When a 14-year-old professional NASCAR racer talks to teenagers about the perils of distracted driving, they listen. That’s why Mercury Insurance has partnered with Andrew Murray – the youngest sanctioned NASCAR driver* – to promote Mercury’s “Don’t Text and Drive Pledge” campaign.
“Distracted driving, especially among teens, is reaching epidemic proportions,” said Erik Thompson, advertising director for Mercury Insurance. “Andrew is helping us connect with teenagers about the dangers of distracted driving – especially texting – and encouraging them to sign our Don’t Text and Drive Pledge at http://mercuryinsuranceopen.com/pledge.aspx.”
Mercury will be sponsoring Murray in his NASCAR K&N Pro Series West debut at All American Speedway in Roseville, California (near Sacramento) on Oct. 15. He will be driving the Mercury Insurance #32 Team Heritage Motor Sports Chevy.
Murray, who hails from Temecula, California, will be 15 years and 12 days old on race day, making him the youngest driver in the series’ 57-year history.
“My two goals right now are to work my way up the ladder to become a NASCAR Sprint Cup racer, and to continue to educate teens about the consequences of texting while driving,” said Murray.
Murray, who began his racing career at age five, has already been speaking to high school students on behalf of Mercury’s Don’t Text and Drive Pledge. “Safe driving is a major concern of mine and Mercury’s,” said Murray. “A lot of my peers need to fully understand how deadly it can be when they don’t concentrate while driving.”
Thompson said Mercury’s Don’t Text and Drive Pledge, which launched at the recent Mercury Insurance Open tennis event in Carlsbad, Calif., will use social media avenues, such as Facebook and Twitter to help promote Murray and spread the word about the dangers of texting and driving.
* In early 2011, at 14 years, eight months, Andrew became the youngest NASCAR-sanctioned driver by competing in the NASCAR Late Model Division.
ANDREW MURRAY BIO:
Hometown: Temecula, CA
Birthday: October 3, 1996
Andrew Murray began his racing career at five, driving go-karts and winning races when many of his peers had to be buckled into child seats to even ride in a car. Andrew has set “youngest driver” records at every level he has competed while consistently out-driving much older competition. In early 2011, at 14 years, eight months, Andrew became the youngest NASCAR-sanctioned driver by competing in the NASCAR Late Model Division. The next step up the NASCAR ladder: Driving in the K&N Pro Series West 12 days after his 15th birthday.
· 2006 – (Age 9) Youngest driver to win a Stars of Karting event.
· 2009 – (12) Youngest driver to win a USAC Junior race. (Won four times during the year.)
· 2010 – (13) Youngest Full Focus USAC driver. (He finished second three times.)
· 2011 – (14 yrs., 8 mos.) Youngest 360 Sprint driver and youngest NASCAR Late Model Division driver. (Finished third and fifth in seven races.)
· 2011 – On October 15, becomes the youngest driver in the 57-year history of the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West at 15 years, 12 days old.
· The Future – After competing in the Pro Series West for a few years, Andrew hopes to become one of NASCAR’s youngest drivers in the Nationwide Series.
ABOUT MERCURY INSURANCE (www.mercuryinsurance.com)
Mercury Insurance (MCY) is a multiple-line insurance organizaion offering predominantly personal automobile and homeowners insurance through a network of independent agents in California, Florida, New Jersey, Texas, Arizona, New York, Georgia, Oklahoma, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, Virginia and Pennsylvania. Since 1962, Mercury has specialized in offering quality insurance at affordable prices - core values that distinguish Mercury in the marketplace.